Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AnEpicJourney
Blank Infinity
Blank Infinity
AnEpicJourney

Female Posts : 447
Favorite Epica song : Almost every song from tPA and CtO + Fools of damnation, the Obsessive Devotion and tDC

Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

Here is another interview from metal katehizis.The interview is with Mark again.I translated it with google translate Smile

Metal Katehizis: Hi, Mark! Approaching the participation of the Epica "Kavarna Rock Fest" and Bulgaria awaits you with impatience. This will be your first show here. What expectations do you have for him?
Mark Jansen: Yes, we will for the first time, so I do not know what to expect. I have heard that we have many fans in Bulgaria, so I hope at least a little enthusiasm. But otherwise I have no idea after happen the first time we can have expectations for the second. I always set a positive and I think it would be very nice.

Festivals, large scenes and playing in front of so many people are certainly different from shows in clubs, where presentation to a smaller audience and a more intimate setting. Which type you prefer concerts?
Usually I like more intimacy in the clubs because it can have more interaction with the audience than with large crowds at the festivals. But the festival needed, because they reach a wider audience and people who have not yet heard of the group. Festivals are important to us. And sometimes there is a unique atmosphere, so this kind of shows has its advantage to clubs. But if you ask me, I prefer the closeness in smaller rooms.

Speaking of people who are not yet familiar with the music of Epica. I have heard statements to the effect that when a gang of female vocalist, not a real metal band. What would you answer those who say that groups with female vocals are not metal?
I can only say that these people need to hear the music because it speaks for itself. I have often heard comments like "I do not like Epica, because this metal is for girls, not really." But one day these people come on our show, see how we play live and then come and say: "I'm impressed! I was not expecting to like it so much, stuck in cool than I thought! "So there is nothing to say. People just need to hear us and then to assess whether their opinion has not changed after the show.

Going back to the topic of "Kavarna Rock Fest". What is your program upon arrival in Bulgaria? How long will it stay here?
Well ... Our tour manager organizes the trips, so I have no idea when exactly arrive. Depends on it. But at least I plan to stay a little longer in the region and visit some friends in Greece. You can make a small vacation in the last months I worked very hard and I think at the end of July I deserve a little sea and sun, hee-hee-hee!

I have another question that probably will better meet your tour manager, but may occasionally know. Festival organizers have promised to try to have distribution of autographs and meeting with fans for each of the groups involved in "Kavarna Rock Fest". Have you been to any request for "sayning session?
I have not heard anything about this, but our manager always tries to fit into our schedule such sessions, if prompted. As a group, strive for close contact with our fans, so take every opportunity. If promoters have such plans, we will certainly have groups that will make "sayning session.

About a week before your participation in Bulgaria will stage performances of the Festival "Masters of Rock" in the Republic and some of your Bulgarian fans will watch and there. Do you have any typical festival setlist or change it periodically to always surprised fans with something new?
Setlista always changing, because to us it is more interesting way for our fans too - especially for those who are watching us more than once within a single tour. Each week we have a new setlist. There are several songs that always play because the audience expects them, but always bringing something new here and there. The duration also varies - sometimes we only have 45 minutes at festivals, sometimes an hour and 15 minutes and in the clubs when we are headliners, and we played two hours, so that each time is different.

And in Kavarna know how long you play?
I do not have accurate information, but I hope to at least one hour, because 45 minutes is too small a group as Epica - we have very long pieces and set in 45 minutes we can not do it as balanced as we would like. Hopefully at least one hour or an hour and 10 minutes - something.

I guess you know which other groups will embark on a stage in Kavarna you before and after the first night of the festival - Tarja Turunen is a headliner before it will be Doro Pesch, Liv Kristine involved with both groups. Would you say a few words about each of these artists? Have you met with them and what are your impressions?
With Tarja we played on the stage several times at festivals and it was always very kind and warm person. As we meet for discussing how things go for everyone. Our relationship with Tarja are very friendly. Doro, unfortunately, never met personally, but I hope this can happen someday. It is one of the icons of metal, particularly for women in this style - it makes the first steps and it is the idol of many women in modern metal, but of many men.

Who else would play the festival?

Liv Kristine of Leaves' Eyes and Atrocity.
Oh, and yes, with Leaves' Eyes also have a good relationship with Liv and her husband Oh-oh, many women will have at this festival!

Yeah, the first night of "Kavarna Rock Fest", July 23, advertised as "ladies night", so surely there will be many ladies!
Oh-oh, many men do not appear to hear us because it is among them are those who say, "Girls and metal - this combination is not just." When we have a festival as a single band with female vocals, there is much more likely to hear us and people who otherwise would not have gone on our own show and then say "Oh, cool!"

So it is more important to give clear, although the label "ladies night", everyone must attend the first concert of the festival and to hear Epica and other groups, because you deserve it?
Yes, I think. I think many people will be pleasantly surprised.

Already traveled a lot of countries with concerts in support of your last album "Design Your Universe", which came out last October and November this back for another tour in the U.S. and Canada. Perhaps it is too early to ask, but still - there are already plans for another album, I started to write new material?
Yes, now compose new songs and things are going pretty well. I think we have about 9 new songs, but only when they are finalized, will think about when to enter the studio. Perhaps this will happen sometime next year and will issue a new album at the end of 2011-a.

Last time I heard they are not asked how to work with the newest member of the group, guitarist Isaac Delahaye. But now, having released a record and did so many concerts with him, maybe you even know how he fits in Epica.
Yes, great to work with him, now we're together a year and few months and am very aware of - I can only say it is great to be together it feels like has always been part of the group, everything is so natural . Isaac quickly became a member of our family, the atmosphere is very good since he joined us and we are happy to be in Epica.

Your colleague Simone collaborates with many bands and musicians outside Epica, I myself also had their live performances without the band. With whom many would like to work - musician, singer, band, whatever you think?
Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. I contacted him and invited him to visit one of the previous albums Epica, but still it has not happened. I will keep trying and hope that one day you can hear it in the album Epica.

It would be great. Perhaps in your next album?
It is not known, probably still employed, but will try again and again. Some day he will participate in our records.

Jam your fingers that to happen! Which groups listened to recently? You must be very busy with touring, but is there something that caught your attention lately?
Whenever we are at festivals, looking the other sets of groups when I can. Recently we were in Sweden Rock and there listened to Opeth, because we always go to their concerts if they are nearby. I watched and Anvil, because I like the biographical film about them. It was super fun. I saw and few sets of WASP, I wanted to stay and Guns N 'Roses, but it was very late in the evening, it became cold and went back to the hotel. Prefer a hot shower before Guns N 'Roses.

Well, lately of the original Guns N 'Roses is not nothing left except Axl Rose ..
Exactly. If Slash and other old snout were still in the group, I would watch them, despite the cold. But only with some new Axl ... uh uh ... if it was a warm evening, I would stay. But for me not worth it under these circumstances.

Slash, in turn, makes the solo career and issued a new album. Did you hear?
Not yet, but I'm curious. Lately I've been pretty busy and have no time to listen to new CDs. Nuclear Blast constantly send me the latest editions of its catalog and always when I get a box waiting for me with a CD-th of them. That is their thing on Nuclear Blast, keep their groups informed about what else is issued by the same label. Moreover might hear the new album by Slash, but still I have not bought it.

What else new about you?
I can tell you for a new project, which I attach. Heavier is Epica.

Tell me.
Now compose music for this project, except for the Epica, so one week write about Epica, one week for completion. Enter the studio later this year and early next will run the project's debut album. Probably will be published Nuclear Blast. We have not decided what is the name. With me were some of the boys who play with a time in After Forever, there are musicians from Epica, and those who are not in either one of two groups. It is very refreshing for me to be able to do something different outside the Epica, also develop as a composer and author of texts and in some ways have more creative freedom, because Epica can not do anything too noisy or highly non-commercial. With this new project I can do whatever you want - some things are very difficult to obtain, but still melodic and symphonic.

Who are the participants in this new group?
NJack Driessen is a keyboardist, he was the first keyboardist of After Forever. Frank Schiphorst's three guitars and we shape the core group we composed the music. Sander Gommans of After Forever wrote three songs with us. Performances live when it's time for them to join us will be drummer Arien van Weesenbeek of Epica and Isaac Delahaye, also from Epica. Still looking bassist, to fit the group.

Sounds interesting. When, say, we can hear the result? Early next year?
Yes, if all goes according to plan.

Jump do not know how to succeed in this busy tour schedule Epica. At the beginning of next year and play a very interesting event, cruise, 70,000 Tons of Metal ". How did that participated in this cruise? Probably will be a unique experience, how you feel when you think about it?
It is very exciting and is something that we've never before. Therefore, we decided to participate. In four days we will do two shows on the ship. We have always enjoyed opportunities as a group to engage in adventure and this was precisely one of those who could not miss. It will not be among the best paid our shows, but it does not matter because we do it for fun and because it is something new.

Awesome! Meanwhile, we still have to wait for you to Bulgaria for your first concert here. And I promise you that will not last because you will definitely like it.
Yes, this is just the beginning.

Exactly, just the beginning. Thank you for pleasant conversation. Good night!
Nice to you, bye!

Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 am

Awesome interview.But damn,why did they have to mention about the signing session?

Wow,Mark asked Mikael to sing on an Epica CD?I smell that 'Death of A DReam' might have been the song,but he choose Sander instead Razz Still I'd love if he'd sing for Epica.I mean lately I've been a lot into Opeth and they will release a new DVD on 21st of Setember so I'm really excited Very Happy

Huh so Isaac and Arien will be the live members of Mark's unnamed band/project?I was pretty sure that the death metal side of Epica was going to be involved Wink

I am quite sad for Mark.I mean Guns'n'Roses was his favorite band in his childhood and now their line up changed Sad No doubt why he didnt went to see them live...
Back to top Go down
AnEpicJourney
Blank Infinity
Blank Infinity
AnEpicJourney

Female Posts : 447
Favorite Epica song : Almost every song from tPA and CtO + Fools of damnation, the Obsessive Devotion and tDC

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 am

Yes...I suppose that he is a bit disappointed because of Guns' line up...and I'm looking forward to hearing the Mark's project!! I'm sure that we will like it Wink
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:58 am

Yes,I'm defintely looking forward<3.Progressive lended with symphonic and death metal it's the best combination I ever heared(Epica has this combination as well,but this project is goig to be more extreme Smile )
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 am

Epica and Mikael???? *dies*
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 pm

^The same feeling.Mikael is a genius,Mark is a genius and if we ever have the chance to see these two working together I might just die Wink
Back to top Go down
BloodyRose
Quietus
Quietus
BloodyRose

Female Scorpio Snake
Favorite Epica song : Facade of Reality, Cry For The Moon, Mortyr of the Free Word

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:44 am

I love to read interviews with Mark.He's so funny and nice Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nightwish-bulgaria.hit.bg
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis   Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interview with Mark 2010 Metal Katehizis
Page 1 of 1