Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine Empty
PostSubject: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:16 pm

It is hard to believe that the long running Dutch band Epica released their debut opus "The Phantom Agony" only 6 years ago. Since then they have really progressed and evolved in a big way. You can hear the band grow in leaps-and-bounds from album to album, with each release being more ambitious than the last. With their newest outing "Design Your Universe" Epica have really - and I mean really - outdone themselves. In the world of symphonic, epic, power metal, this is about as good as it gets.

As is the case with most Epica releases, there is plenty of music to be found on "Design Your Universe" - 13-songs and over 74-minutes to be exact. The CD starts off with the very cinematic intro "Samadhi" before going into the riff heavy opening track "Resign To Surrender (A New Age Dawns Part IV)". The duo of Mark Jansen (harsh male vocals) and Simone Simons sound as good as they ever have - with Simone able to go from operatic to a lower register, she is really becoming one of the best singers in all of metal. This song also features a cool part with a choir. It is really a solid opening track that really sets things off on the right foot. "Unleashed" continues things in a heavy fashion. The riffs are heavy but this is a solid, melodic, mid-tempo tune that sees Simone taking on the vocals here. After two more solid tracks "Martyr Of The Free Word" (a great melodic track) and "Our Destiny", it is time for the the first truly epic number on the CD. "Kingdom of Heaven" clocks in at over 13-minutes long and it is a a definite highlight for me. Over the years the band has perfected the long, dramatic number and this might be their best . Other highlights include: "Burn To A Cinder", "Tides Of Time", the moving ballad "White Waters" (which features a duet with Simone and Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica) and the fantastic 9-minute title track "Design Your Universe". The CD was produced once again by longtime collaborator Sascha Paeth - I guess at this point it would be odd if the band worked with anyone else.

One thing you have to admire about Epica is that they rarely repeat themselves. Each CD has it's own feeling and vibe and they are not afraid to take on new horizons. Deciding which album is the best from any artist is a matter of opinion and a subjective thing, but right now, as of this moment I think this is the best work this band has done to date. "Design Your Universe" is definitely a release worth getting excited over. Quite possibly the best release of 2009.

Rating: 10.0/10
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Possibly the most worshipping review so far, got me even more excited Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 pm

That is also my favorite review New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine Icon_smile

I can't believe some people say Epica's albums are repetitive New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine Icon_evil That's why I love this review New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
TheAsylum
Blank Infinity
Blank Infinity
TheAsylum

Female Capricorn Pig
Favorite Epica song : Burn to a Cinder

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 pm

it got rated a 10????!!!!! Even better wowee I can't wait±±±
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 am

I love this review! Perfectly describes it all, I believe.
And finally something in proper English, I mean not translated. Wink
Back to top Go down
diego_jansen
Quietus
Quietus
diego_jansen

Male Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 5:44 am

WOW this review thats great, I can't wait to listen the Design Your Universe in October

[u]Its better not to lose yourself in a blind faith
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine   New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New DYU review by Femme Metal Webzine
Page 1 of 1