Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide Empty
PostSubject: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 am

again our little idiot Twisted Evil

Quote :
After two albums of generally finely crafted symphonic metal, Dutch ensemble Epica decided to indulge their orchestral kinks to the fullest with 2005's metal-free The Score: An Epic Journey, but they are back to their usual, genre-meshing stomping grounds with 2007's The Divine Conspiracy, which many fans will likely consider their proper third opus. Whatever the case may be, the album gets under way with the entirely symphonic "Indigo" prologue, before slamming into the metallic portion of the program with "The Obsessive Devotion." This, in typical Epica fashion, showcases not only the angelic soprano of Simone Simons, but also a manly baritone choir and ever more demonic death grunts from bandleader Mark Jansen — all of them juggling lyrics in English and Latin! As with all of The Divine Conspiracy's — and indeed Epica's — best tracks (here including "Fools of Damnation" and "Sonata Terra"), the attraction ultimately hinges on exploring the sonic contrasts of light and dark; the punishing intensity of those elephantine guitar riffs and hyperactive drumming cast against the soaring, layered sweetness of the orchestrated strings and keyboards. Remove these contrasts and the fireworks they ignite, and largely uniform offerings like the ballads "Safeguard to Paradise" and "Chasing the Dragon" (overlong, featuring a brief black metal freak-out, and not about a great big lizard, believe it or not) simply leave one wanting more. Similarly, Epica still struggle to compete with hit-penning machines like Nightwish or Within Temptation when it comes to commercial singles with overpowering hooks (see the merely serviceable "Never Enough"). And just when you think Epica had escaped the shadow of the band that spawned them, After Forever, along comes the ambitious but uneven four-song suite titled "The Embrace That Smothers," which, actually originated in Jansen's former group (even though its first five installments appeared on Epica's debut). All that being said, give Epica credit for staying the course (winding as it may be) long enough to deliver the crowning achievement of their career thus far in The Divine Conspiracy's colossal, multi-faceted, 14-minute title track, which closes this LP. Now, if they can only maintain that stellar form for the duration of their next album, things could get really interesting.

Review founded at http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0nfwxzwgld0e
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

I hate this guy, what has Epica to do with NW and WT?
Sonata Terra *cough*
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 am

The little idiot is back with his hillarious reviews Razz And he never forgets to mention After Forever Rolling Eyes

I agree with FOD being one of their best tracks,but contrary I don't think Sancta Terra is...and how dare he calls Chasing The Dragon overlong featuring a brief black metal freak-out, and not about a great big lizard, believe it or not Evil or Very Mad I already got annoyed.And even thought Never Enough is commercial it's not even nearly as commercial as WT's What Have You Done or Nightwish's Amaranth.At least NE has growls Razz

I cant wait what this guy will write about DYU Laughing
Back to top Go down
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 am

There's also a review for TCC, I will post soon xD Lets laught a bit Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:19 am

I can't laugh at all because I have a bad sense of humor Razz
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:28 am

I want to see the TCC!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 3:10 am

Agreed with you all. Can't help but laugh at reviews from this guy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide   The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Divine Conspiracy review by All Music Guide
Page 1 of 1