Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

First review of DYU!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

First review of DYU! Empty
PostSubject: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Epica - Design Your Universe, 1st review

Like two years ago with''The Divine Conspiracy'' we had listening session with some collaques to have a preview of the music.
In 2007 we flew to the headquarters of Nuclear Blast in Germany, this time the listening session was on the home of
mastermind and guitarist of the band Mark Jansen!

One hundred forty miles from home with a ferry crossing the road led us toward Dutch Limburg.
With thirty degrees and plenty of sunshine already promised a glorious day to be around the spacious
white villa in which the bandleader Mark resides and in which he also rehearsals with Epica.
On arrival we were welcomed by Mark himself, his girlfriend, his parents
and cat Paco who soon chose their heels towards cellar.
Then followed a tour through the villa.
What particularly attracted attention were the home studio and the basement rooms that
serve as ''repetitiehok'' but also as storage for the considerable Epica merchandise.
Since we also found Mark's cat Paco back down among a pile of hooded flattered
"The Divine Conspiracy'-sweaters.
The black-white pet this time there seemed no harm in seeing and did not move.
The cat was comical us the whole time surpassed.
Saved by the bell, the poor cat thought,
because there was another bunch of metal press blown inside the house.
After a glass or a cold drink with a piece of flan, if everyone here
is over for Mark's new home studio visits and ears could be listening session.

OPUS MAGNUM

''Samadhi'' which kicks off the plate into a classic and typical EPICA prelude.
The bombastic instrumental opener includes Latin chants of a choir which the end link into
the first real track ''Resign To Surrender''
Impending guitar riff with heavy double bass of Arien van Weesenbeek in the style of old Dimmu Borgir.
A recurring pattern arises in the form of that chorus singer Simone Simons again after her vocals ''interpelleert''.
Before and after a handsome guitar solo is a spoken word piece that behave in a flowing symphonic wave to the end result.

The choir starts vigorously ''Unleashed'' with militaristic tinged song again pumping drumming from Arien and
then slowing to take when Simone's vocal lines raids.
The easy to follow structure of verse-chorus-bridge will ensure that this track live rammed a first-class prize beast is!
A Zen moment goes mainstream with a little later bombastic choral singing accompanied by a string orchestra.
Simone raised her singing tone with a half note to her latest song lines, power drumming ''Unleashed'' permanently.

With''Martyr Of The Free Word'' pulls the band now very sturdy leather!
A quick, clumsy, brutal death metal passage flows into a groovy nu-metal riff that leaves plenty of grunts into Mark's fester.
The contrast is also very high when Simone sings''girlish''for the day, in her piece.
The chorus is again sought help from the choir, but this time limited to backing.
Quick soleerwerk missing middle of this song either,''Martyr ..'' winks at "The Phantom Agony", the debut CD Epica.

A symphonic intro introduces a quiet moment ''Our Destiny''
which practically the whole song its high vocal capabilities from cabinet pulls Simone.
The band plays in a nice neutral sounding melody leading to a simple chorus.
Later passages which sound wilder, there lurks another symphonic piece for the corner and the choir can also be supplied to the tank.
This metalmix ends in a mid-tempo piano outro.

Kingdom Of Heaven is summarized as the magnum opus of the album and the sixth track, as the title suggests,
effectively a majestic song of thirteen minutes and half!
An intoxicating oriental melody with percussion clatter is a soundtrack-like symphonic piece first and then
the metal musicians aisle in it.
Mark a fierce grunt, the choir continues a while to Simone picks up the thread further.
This model is repeated several times harder to pump the documents on which the grooving guitars to work and
Simone's highest vocal range allows reverb.
The choir and string quartet, alternating with what soleerwerk seem to herald the end, but that is only apparent.
A sudden twist develops in fusion, acoustic guitar parts with strings down to a bright summer mid-tempo tune that
Simone lapses in romantic song.
The aggressive spoken word piece is another aggressive pace with a weeping guitar and Mark's grunts after
Simone and the extinction of the choir music is the final say.
An intriguing issue is that many spins it will take to fully grasp, but I should state dar''Kingdom of Heaven''
despite its time has long enough diversity to keep cuff to the hole!

A short drink break for attendees proved necessary after a workpiece as the latter.
Outside snub several press colleagues meet Paco who stays the star of the day and after fifteen minutes we can start up, head back now

''The Price of Freedom'' is a spoken word interlude with that after the piano intro grows larger
(in the annoying ex) to seamlessly run in''Burn To A Cinder'' with a driving guitar part the fire the wick sticks.
The song we just heard back at Simone on vocals has an easy structure and especially the chorus remains in the head.
This track will also live bite a lot.
Symphonic bombast the near-silence switch off and then chopping guitar riffs with the chorus to address.
Undulating smooth transition that exotic character shows when you found yourself in a tropical garden in Malaysia
, so end's the eighth track.

I was in between all off: where is the typical Epica Ballad hiding?
And there, with''Tides of Time'' are we there arrived.
As is often the case with Epica begins ballad with piano and soon I am struck by the gentle romance in this love song.
Release occurred drums and a classical guitar solo with soft wing of his mobile ringing knit to end this dream song.

Epica is at the top in the fast ''Deconstruct''.
This song shows roles of singer, grunter and both remarkably balanced.
This provides the necessary tension when I tell you that when you suddenly bombast and quiet passages are also in conflict
go to a climax and that, as set you on the edge of your seat, just stop.
End of track!

''Semblance of Liberty'' is also another one for the true metal fan who wears no blinders when it comes to style genres.
A RAGGENDE, dirty guitar sound hellish drumming in a thrashy under shake you right up.
Mark-step vocal swings the sticky here with so many grunts, growls and screams and Simone and the choir performs a supporting role.
A death metal guitar duel between Mark and newest band member Isaac Delahaye remind us that Mark is a fan
of Chuck Schuldiner (deceased in 2001 singer / guitarist of Death) and Isaac a metal past in God Dethroned,
as an enthusiastic drum parts with Arien.

The title of the penultimate song''White Waters''sounds just as dreamy as''Tides of Time''and it is.
A soft intro, this time from guitar and bass, the strings go in advance.
Oriental sounds, might respond by traditional instruments, cycling around the whole song and
clean male vocals play a duet with Simone.
An electric musical piece marks the finale.

The final piece and also the title track of''Design Your Universe'' is a good example of the motto "Save the best for last''.
Yes you hear Epica has grown over the years on and with each album after album the same trick step.
It means that you like in''Martyr of the Free Word'' and ''Semblance of Liberty'' have no box mentality
can do because of the diversity in styles is another asset.
As in the previous issue''Design Your Universe'' kicks off with an almost cinematic intro of guitar and strings
that slowly grows in ecstasy to make then a loud modern metalcore moshriff in heels.
Then there is a break in a passage accoustic, Simone again to her as a mezzo soprano shows.
May also mark his two cents do with deep grunts and double basgedonder in a symphonic dress the same pattern of half time prior.
The pace accelerates when the chorus itself is heard and a long drawn-out symphonic music follows.
Simone, the last verses begin and end with soft whispers, not only accompanied by piano ''Desing Your Universe'' to slowly fades.

Where many of their competitors play around or make knee-sided
commercial music, withdraw Epica on their fourth studio album all the stops ET adorns said the five men and woman that they continue to seek innovation in sound and songstructure.
It is wonderful to hear how a number of experiments are not shunned tracks without losing their identity.
Commercially speaking, I think the fans will just have to get used to the new paths that the group walks,
as''Design Your Universe''is - more than its predecessor,''The Divine Conspiracy''- a typical example of growth plate.
Pure artistically will however have to admit that Mark and his continued strong staatlje craftsmanship have delivered

Epica remains a sensation that not at the pinnacle of their game has arrived
''Design Your Universe'' has deliver their most mature album to date off.
But look at the release date of October 16
when both press and fans shall have the full package of music, artwork, photographs and texts, study and evaluate!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:37 pm

I totally love this review,it's really complex and I'm already imagining how it will sound like! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

I started thinking what songs are played on the teaser! Smile
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Really?I still haven't yet ,maybe just the single Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 pm

I think the song after the catchy powerful chorus in the middle is from Kingdom of Heaven
I just feel so haha
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Maybe it is,who knows? Smile (well the band and the press knows Razz )
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Lucky press *cough*
Haha i cant wait to have it, i shall use whole weekend to get inside the album and approach every level of it
Lol it's going to be like some religious experience, everything else disappers and there is just Epica
Back to top Go down
Gargamel
Blank Infinity
Blank Infinity
Gargamel

Female Sagittarius Rat

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Awesomesauce Very Happy Can't wait to hear it!
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 4:07 am

Everything's sounds so awesome! Very Happy Can't wait to have this album!
Has any of you already ordered your copy from somewhere?
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:26 pm

I didn't yet Embarassed Shame on me!
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I have!
The edition limited to 500 copyes Smile
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 3:40 am

This one, Eetu? http://www.nuclearblast.de/showShopProductDetail.php?artikelnummer=162897&kat=
I wanted to wait for some polish shops to order from, but I'd love to have this limited edition as well, but I've never bought anything from Nuclear Blast shop so far, so how about the shipping cost?
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Yes that one Smile
The shipping costs about 14€ so it's quite expensive, well i ordered lots of other stuff with it so the shipping cost is more balanced, but if you order only the cd it is a lot.
But still it is the only place to order the limited edition!
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 am

It is a lot. Neutral Just like the regular version, gosh! I need to figure out something, I want this limited edition so bad! And I guess I need to hurry. Razz
Anyway, thanks for letting me know, Eetu. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First review of DYU!   First review of DYU! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First review of DYU!
Page 1 of 1