Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DYU Review - Metal Invader

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

DYU Review - Metal Invader Empty
PostSubject: DYU Review - Metal Invader   DYU Review - Metal Invader I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Thank god another review in english Razz

EPICA is the child of Mark Jansen, a talented Dutch guitarist that founded After Forever as well. They made their breakthrough only with their previous, third album “The Divine Conspiracy” not because they suddenly became a great band, which they always were, but mostly due to the fact that they were promoted by the currently biggest heavy metal record company. These are the signs of our times, but even with such a push you can’t go very far without being worth of it.
And EPICA come with a huge album like “Design Your Universe” to claim the throne of what is called (misleadingly in my humble opinion) female fronted metal. This term says nothing - Sabina Classen or Angela Gossow that are frontwomen as Simone Simons, but the music that accompanies them is some worlds apart from the mythical world that Simons can travel you with her voice.
If you like your music with labels, then what EPICA play is progressive symphonic metal and they sure know how to deliver it. “Design Your Universe” continues in the same spirit as its predecessor only with even grander and more epic songs. Jansen shows that his capabilities in writing big compositions that can combine operatic vocals, growls, Gregorian chants, symphonic parts, death outbreaks, piano interludes (and the list goes on) hasn’t reached its peak. He is the maestro keeping the equilibrium among all those elements and the outcome shines bright, a fact that should also be granted to producer Sascha Paeth (Angra, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Avantasia) as well, who is a master in making power metal albums find their way. As for Simone Simons there is not much to say. She is a girl that could sing only with her image (you already knew that, didn’t you?), but her mezzo soprano voice and her alto outbreaks leave no room for doubts about her capabilities. Just listen to “Tides Of Time”, a superb ballad, or the magnificent “Our Destiny” that has some incredible vocals before its outburst – they will surely get you into their musical vision. As for the lyrics, this time they seem to touch more earthly issues like liberty and freedom which suits me better, hope it does the same for you. Whatever the lyrics are though, you can’t escape the fairytale concept that band carries with them. What makes EPICA even more attractive is that they don’t lack brutality despite their image and the presence of a woman behind the microphone. Jansen growls (not the best around, but fairly acceptable) and the band’s recent transfers, Isaac Delahaye/guitars and Arien Van Weesenbeek both from (God Dethroned) guarantee that death metal elements will haunt the majestic atmosphere.
Their live album that has just been released showed in the most emphatic tone that the band aims really high and beyond the typical heavy metal standards implementing choirs and symphonic orchestras in their music. EPICA is a band that progresses, evolves and becomes bigger with each attempt. “Design Your Universe” is a complete album in all aspects that gets hold of you the more you listen to it. It is a step forward for the band and if “Divine Conspiracy” brought them ahead of many, then this one will establish their status and multiply their fans.

5/5
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: DYU Review - Metal Invader   DYU Review - Metal Invader I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

That is such a gorgeus review DYU Review - Metal Invader Icon_biggrin

Except the part "Jansen growls (not the best around, but fairly acceptable)".But hey everyone is entitled to have an opinion DYU Review - Metal Invader Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: DYU Review - Metal Invader   DYU Review - Metal Invader I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:03 pm

I love this reveiw! (Such a pleasure to read one originally in English Wink )
And I'm gonna love the lyrics more as well, I know it! Very Happy Ohhh I can't wait any longer! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pale Secrecy
Quietus
Quietus
Pale Secrecy

Female Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: DYU Review - Metal Invader   DYU Review - Metal Invader I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:45 am

Well, honestly, I agree with the line about the growls. Sometimes they are a bit hard to decipher. My favorite growlers are Morten Veland and Angela Gossow, simply because of diction. I know, I know! *hides*

Jenna (Pale Secrecy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DYU Review - Metal Invader   DYU Review - Metal Invader I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DYU Review - Metal Invader
Page 1 of 1