Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( Empty
PostSubject: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Quote :

Dutch guitarist/vocalist Mark Jansen unveiled his highly anticipated post-After Forever undertaking — a new orchestral metal project named Epica — via 2004's The Phantom Agony album. Clearly patterned on Jansen's former band, Epica fuses his deathly croaking with the angelic tones of a classically trained mezzo-soprano named Simone Simons, over a lush foundation of symphonic power metal. However, as compared to After Forever's pre-established blueprint (and unfortunately, continual comparisons are inevitable here) songs like "Sensorium," "Cry for the Moon," and "Illusive Consensus" tend to prioritize guitars over keyboards, while making greater use of full-on choir backdrops. And although she is a gifted operatic talent by any definition, lead vocalist Simons simply lacks the sheer vocal prowess and versatility of After Forever's Floor Jansen. Whether this is the case by nature or design, one feels her talents are being underutilized; but then, perhaps Jansen didn't want her monopolizing the proceedings like the aforementioned Floor (although they apparently have no problem objectifying her sensual image on the album's cover). Furthermore, additional embellishments such as spoken word recitals, lyrics decried in Latin and Arabic, and complicated religious and philosophical exhortations featured on the likes of "Façade of Reality," "Seif al Din," and the preposterously overwrought title track make the whole bloated work almost too pretentious to stomach. And for all of this grand conceptualizing (The Phantom Agony's intricately intertwined movements indeed amounting to a concept album), what you have here is a samey-sounding LP by symphonic metal standards: lyrically engaging and brave of vision, to be sure, but disturbingly short on songwriting chops, and ultimately devoid of the genre's dramatic and defining peaks and valleys of emotion. Having said all that, The Phantom Agony's daunting palette of colors is vast enough to probably convert a few disciples to the group's cause.

Check it in http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:yia9qj3woj6a
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 pm

I remember reading this review a few months ago.The reviewer clearly isn't an Epica fan Razz
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Lol that's funny review
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Yup, he is certanly AF fanatic Razz
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Yes,I forgot the most of AF fans can't really stand Epica Rolling Eyes .LOL and I love both...
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 3:01 am

Comparing everything to AF hmm...this reviewer definately has been prejudiced against Epica.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(   The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide  :'( I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Phantom Agony review by All Music Guide :'(
Page 1 of 1