Martyrs of the Free Word
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are under construction, but you are free to join us on the wait for 2012, the year of Epica!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide Empty
PostSubject: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Quote :
For all its ambitious plotting, baroque soundscapes, and unquestionable technical merits, Epica's first album was distinctly lacking in the most crucial of categories: songwriting. In fact, it pretty much proved the point that musical education doesn't necessarily guarantee musical inspiration, ultimately achieving surprisingly little purchase in one's memory banks for an album so rife with Strum und Drang. In retrospect, it may also have been somewhat rushed in its construction, what with guitarist and creative leader Mark Jansen possibly being a little too anxious to prove his own mettle after quitting After Forever — the band founded with his sister Floor, and who in fact helped pioneer the symphonic/progressive/power metal style still on dominant display here. Longer preparation has certainly had a positive effect on the sophomore effort, but, if anything, Epica remain more committed to that original vision than the increasingly modern-sounding (though no less progressive) After Forever, insisting on employing human choirs and orchestras throughout Consign to Oblivion, and rarely letting mezzo-soprano Simone Simons stray from an operatically correct delivery. Jansen's death growls have also taken a noticeable back seat this time around, but that's not to say that typical offerings such as "Dance of Fate," "Blank Infinity," and "Force of the Shore" fail to provide plenty of heavy staccato guitar riffing and hyperactive double kick drums. Single candidate "Solitary Ground," on the other hand, finds an adequate middle ground between rocker and ballad; "Quietus" pretty much waltzes away from start to finish; and the symphonic overkill is finally toned down for the surprisingly pop-campy, harpsichord-led ballad "Trois Vierges" (big-time Nightwish influence), on which Simons is joined by Kamelot vocalist Roy Kahn. And don't forget the four different movements of a fatalistic suite subtitled "A New Age Dawns" (partly sung in Latin, and decrying man's folly with nature — you know the drill), which are strewn about the album in somewhat arbitrary fashion, and may only confuse things further. Nevertheless, Consign to Oblivion's overall presentation is as immaculate as its predecessor's, and definitely an improvement from a compositional perspective, promising better things to come in Epica's future.

Check it in http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:6q57gjlr56ip
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

TPA failled at lyrics?I don't think so Evil or Very Mad

And I though Mark wasn;t Floor's bother?Or he is? confused

and Trois Vierges is far from having a NW influence Neutral
Back to top Go down
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm

I thought he isnt too but maybe he is... Question now that Im thinking I remember to read something that said that he isnt confused

And this was the same person who wroted TPA review so, thats normal
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster
Favorite Epica song : All of them!

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:42 pm

What an stupid review.
Floor ISNT his sister, and Epica has never sounded like Nightwish at all, what an moron writing that..
And the songwriting and lyrics on TPA were divine, well this guy obviosly lacks sense for complicated music and non-gothic bands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eneuniverse
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:45 pm

So thats the answer! This guy is a total idiot Razz
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
Epican
Epican
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female Aquarius Pig
Favorite Epica song : Kingdom of Heaven
Consign to Oblivion
Chasing the Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Or he likes softer music Razz
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Yeah, why to do review's of metal albums then?
I feel all blah for people like that
Back to top Go down
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

and in that site they wroted the style of the band as Pop/Rock
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 pm

LOL
That guy has good sense of humor..
Back to top Go down
EpicaHolic
Quietus
Quietus
EpicaHolic

Female Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:53 pm

or he is completely idiot
Back to top Go down
Ene
Facade Of Reality
Facade Of Reality
Ene

Male Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah lol
Back to top Go down
magnoly
Replica
Replica
magnoly

Female Taurus Snake
Favorite Epica song :
Consign to Oblivion
Unleashed
The Obsessive Devotion

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 3:06 am

Haha, lol. That was fun to read. Razz This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Yep!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide   Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Consign to Oblivion review by All Music Guide
Page 1 of 1